DoodlePanda reads stuff

Yesterday's Gone: Season One
David W. Wright, Sean Platt
Cress (Lunar Chronicles, #3)
Marissa Meyer
Progress: 37 %
Tales of the Japanese (Illustrated)
Charles Morris
McSweeney's #10
Elmore Leonard, Michael Chabon, Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Harlan Ellison, Nick Hornby, Jim Shepard, Michael Moorcock, Dan Chaon, Carol Emshwiller, Kelly Link, Chris Offutt, McSweeney's Publishing, Laurie R. King, Michael Crichton, Aimee Bender, Sherman Alexie, Howard Cha
Stephen King

Liesmith: Book 1 of The Wyrd

Liesmith: Book 1 of The Wyrd - Alis Franklin I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved this book! To be perfectly honest I didn't know much about it before I started reading it. But I was so glad I did! I think initially the cover put me off, to me it doesn't really relate to the story. I guess the man on the cover is supposed to be Sigmund, and there is a spear involved, but it doesn't have the right 'feel'. Maybe it's just me. But I was sure pleasantly surprised when I started reading!

I found it to have a great story, I love the way that the author has mixed Norse mythology and modern life! Being from Norway we learn a lot about Norse mythology in school, and it was great to recognize a lot of the characters involved. (But that doesn't mean you wont be able to enjoy the story if you don't know any Norse gods!)

I also found it to be quite funny, especially in the beginning when Sigmund first meets Loki (in his different forms) and the interactions between the two of them. And I love that the relationship between them feels so... natural. There is no drama around the fact that they are both male, which I loved.

The writing style was great, I felt really immersed in the story. And I kept reading 'just a little bit more' to see what would happen next.

I'm looking forward to book 2, will definitely read that as well as I want to find out about the characters and what happens next! :)